Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Fifth Element


(image via Derek Eads)

I never liked sci-fi movies, action movies, or dude movies in general (read: anything that wasn't a comedy) until I saw The Fifth Element on TV. After The Princess Bride on my favorite movies list is probably The Fifth Element, unless it's Mary Poppins or Pippi Longstocking.

Why do people hate it so much? Blaze McAwesome poops all over this movie, but I think he's just jealous of Bruce Willis.

I think I initially loved it because I recognized Milla Jovovich from the "cult classic" Dazed and Confused, so obviously I was awesome. Everything about this movie trying to be sci-fi is so over the top and silly and that is wonderful! The review from the journal Images is pretty right on about what's cool and what's annoying.

Last night I discovered that Jean-Paul Gaultier made all of the costumes for the film, and that makes a lot of sense:
The extant Gaultier signature styles are evident in 'The Fifth Element' - the cone bras, the crinoline hoops worn as outer garments, the glamorously feminine men's costumes and Bruce Willis' carefully ripped dinner shirt. But his eclecticism is also in evidence - for instance in his witty reworking of military uniforms (in this case Gary Oldman's SS-inspired high collars and wide trousers tucked into sleek boots) and the copious references to the cinematic heritage of futuristic fantasies. (via)
On a final note, I call Ruby Rhod!



2 comments:

willis said...

This post made me happy.

I call Zorg. Right here, right now.

But I'm pretty sure with such a limited cast of characters, we cannot pull off a 5th element theme party without a little duplication in character.

Blaze said...

This is not an action movie, a sci-fi movie, or a "dude" movie. This is a film that Jean-Paul Gaultier made the costumes for.