Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Clear Blue Skies



One of the most powerful hip hop songs I know is "Clear Blue Skies" by The Juggaknots. It's like Cat Stevens' "Father and Son"... with racism! It is an interchange between a white father and son after the father discovers the son is dating a black girl.

Son:
You sound like such an idiot
I pity it
I wonder, should I laugh or should I cry?
More than anything I want a reason why
All of a sudden the blood in your vein flows with such vigor
Just because you choose to call another person "nigger"

Father:
Well they're just some thugs stealing
Slum-dwellin', drug-dealing, gun-sellin'
And a hundred-yard dashin' after doing purse snatchin'
Damn savages who ravages the buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken
With the first dibs on the ribs
Lookin' like a damn monkey on the football fields and basketball courts
Taking over sports
Leaving us just to golf and to tennis
And they menacing society, the bums
They should go the fuck back to where they came from

Son:
So that's your vision of perfection
That's your clear blue skies
Through those clear blue eyes
Which seems to make you think you're better
But instead of simply sinking to the level of your thinking
I'll be ghost

Father:
Pack your bag, nigger-lover, and good riddance

No comments: